Experienced in all Personal, Commercial and Specialty Lines of insurance including Program Business with admitted and non-admitted carriers. Involved in substantive leadership and managerial roles. Have established relationships with regulators, legislators, carriers, reinsurers and trade and rating organizations.
Consultant, Bedford, NH 2002 – Present
- Provided expert opinions and testified on coverage issues for clients. This has included opinions on contractual enhancements, agency contracts, collections, coverage availability, and coverage intent and interpretation. Have been deposed many times and provided testimony at Arbitration Hearings and in Federal and State courts.
- Have provided product maintenance and enhancement for clients. Activities include:
- Review of competitor coverage and rating programs and recommendations. These were for liability and property individually as well as combined.
- Development of new coverage and rating concepts unique to individual classes and/or insureds. Individual property and liability coverage and rating programs include, but are not limited to: craft breweries, body care services, self storage facilities, janitorial operations, home business, household services, household pet services, dry cleaners, commercial roadside assistance, artisan craftsmen, trailers, commercial fertilizer operations,
- Review of company data for development of recommendations for rating and classification changes.
- Development of tiering programs for use within a single company to allow different rating algorithms to be used.
- Review and development of programs to provide the use of credit scores including explanatory material to insureds and possible capping programs to limit impacts.
- Development of SERFF filings for all materials developed and necessary explanations to insureds.
- Developed and implemented revised independent policy forms, endorsements, and rating rules for programs and individual accounts for commercial, professional, environmental, and specialty business to reduce compliance costs by 90%.
- Responsible for regulatory compliance activities for several clients. Developed, reformatted, and reworded independent material for clients to tailor coverage for selected risks and major accounts.
- Developed and implemented rating programs to enhance program business.
- Responsible for the development, submission and implementation of Form A filings to expand clients’ licenses or in the start up of new insurers and reinsurers.
- Worked with clients on the need for, creation of, and maintenance of captive insurance programs. Developed coverage programs for captives as needed.
- Assisted in the creation of Government Entities Mutual Insurance Company and acted as its Underwriter.
- Supervised the run-off of The Home Insurance Company on behalf of the New Hampshire Insurance Department. Monitored and approved claims payments, new contracts, and commutations.
- Established the New Hampshire Operations Center for The Home Insurance Company in Liquidation. Responsible for staffing, all operations, and all collection activities.
New Hampshire Insurance Department, Concord, NH 2001
- Responsible for all P&C operations including the review and approval of all rules and forms filings. Operated as the Department’s P&C Actuary for an extended period.
- Oversight responsibility for administrative rules; insurer operational, financial and market review; and all licensing operations.
- Responsible for communication with state and federal regulators, company executives, and the press on behalf of the Department.
- Analysis and approval of insurer business plans, Form A filings, control of insurers and payment of dividends.
Syndicated Services Company, Inc., Manchester, NH 1994 – 2000
- Responsible for all product development and implementation for program business insured through the SSC Lloyd’s market written by selected and approved MGAs.
- Reviewed MGA rating and coverage programs, recommended enhancements, reviewed recommendations with underwriting and MGAs and developed and implemented changes to enhance MGA program competitiveness.
- Briefed Lloyds Underwriters on regulatory and business issues in the United States.
- Developed underwriting guidelines and conducted regulatory and underwriting audits.
- Responsible for agent licensing and appointments, rating justification, policy issuance by agents, compliance with law and regulation, monitoring of competitor programs, and response to market conduct examinations and the relationship with regulators, legislators, and trade and rating organizations.
- During the 6 years with SSC program business increased from $3M at the end of 1994 to over $150M at the end of 2000.
- Worked with MGAs in purchase and implementation of policy rating and issuance systems and internally on statistical capture and reporting.
The Home Insurance Companies, New York, NY 1987 – 1994
Vice President – All 7 of The Home Companies
- Implemented a new Government and Industry Relations Department at The Home. Responsible for all state filings for Home programs, The Home’s licensing activities, and all government and regulatory affairs.
- Developed a Unit with responsibility for creation of all Home independent rates, rating rules, policy forms and endorsements and maintenance for compliance with state laws and regulations. Developed new rating and coverage techniques to improve The Home’s competitiveness in the market. Worked with the Major Accounts Department in tailoring coverage for individual accounts.
- Developed a Unit with responsibility for obtaining, handling, and distribution of all residual market information. Based on changes implemented in accounting systems the Home’s residual market losses were cut 50% from 1987 through 1993
- Responsible for The Home’s handling of and response to all market conduct examinations.
- Represented The Home at ISO meetings and on the International Insurance Council, on the IIAA Presidential Committee, and on the Board of Directors of six state associations.
Insurance Services Office, Inc., New York, NY 1971 – 1987
- Experienced in Personal Lines, Commercial Property and Commercial Casualty.
- Worked in Personal Auto from 1971 through 1980. Became the Assistant Manager of Commercial Property in 1980. Promoted to Manager in Commercial Casualty in 1983.
- Had overall responsibility from 1984 through 1987 for all Commercial Casualty lines of insurance including the development and implementation of the Commercial Lines Simplification Program – rates, rating, classifications, rules, policy forms and endorsements.
- Wrote and introduced the first on-premises total pollution exclusion and later the absolute pollution exclusion. Developed the asbestos exclusion and punitive damages exclusion.
- Was the ISO Chair of the General Liability Committee and the Commercial Auto Committee. Reported to and attended all Commercial Lines Committee meetings.
- Involved with rate reviews, policy form and endorsement development, rating rules, response to legislation, statistical changes and reports, NAIC reviews, and coverage initiatives.
- Was the Commercial Casualty senior representative with ISO participating insurers and industry associations.
Masters in Business Administration, High Distinction, Rivier College, Nashua, New Hampshire 2000
Bachelor Degree – Economics/Math, Saint Peter’s College, Jersey City, New Jersey 1971
Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter Designation, 1980
Past President – New England Chapter, Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals
Past Officer – New Hampshire Chapter of CPCU Society